It goes without saying cancer is one of the most dreaded diseases in the world. Millions of people suffer from it and if it gets detected at the last stage, then there is a very thin chance of curing it fully.
How To Prevent Eye Cancer?
Cancer can occur in any part of the body, and it can also affect the eye. Researchers have seen that 80% of eye cancer when detected at the initial stage, can be fully cured.
In this article, let us find out all about ocular or eye cancer and how we can prevent it. But first, it is important to detect its symptoms.
What are the causes of eye cancer?
There are certain risk factors which might increase with the onset of eye cancer in a person:
- With the increase in age, the chances of acquiring ocular cancer also increase. It has been found through clinical studies that people above the age of 50 years are more prone to get eye cancer.
- It has been seen that eye cancer is more abundant in white people compared to the ones with a darker complexion
- People who have a medical history or genetic eye diseases are usually more susceptible to eye cancer
- Researches have revealed that exposure of eyes to sunlight or certain chemicals might increase the chance of eye cancer among people
What are the symptoms of eye cancer?
Some of the symptoms of eye cancer are as follows:
- Blurry vision – This might happen due to n number of reasons and eye cancer is one of them, hence if you are facing such issues then it is advisable to get your eyes checked.
- Spotting random light spots or flashes – You would start seeing light flashes or a spot which can be one of the reasons behind the disease. You might also experience floating black spots in front of your eyes.
- Narrowed vision – An advanced stage of eye cancer would be indicated by loss of peripheral vision or through tunnel vision, which means that you would see everything as if you are seeing it through a tunnel.
- Change in eye shape – A change in the shape of the eye is a clear indicator of tumor and calls for an immediate check-up by a doctor.
- Red eyes – Experiencing extremely teary eyes or if your eyes are turning red and bloody out of nowhere then it might be a high alarming situation and the time for a visit to your ophthalmologist.
- Abnormal pigmentation – In case you have some sudden abnormal pigmentation in your skin or eyes then it is a condition of high alarm and you should immediately think of visiting your ophthalmologist.
Can eye cancer be prevented?
There are no definite methods for preventing ocular cancer. However one can try to reduce its chances by limiting their exposure to sunlight, which is also a major cause of skin cancer. But it is possible to detect this ailment at an early stage by staying alert. The key to getting it detected and cured is by going to your ophthalmologist for regular checkups.
If you have a family history of eye diseases and cancers, then it is mandatory that you should go to your eye doctor at regular intervals and monitor the health of your eyes. In case you start experiencing an unusual condition or irritation, then make no delay in getting an eye checkup done at the earliest!
How can eye cancer be cured?
There are various treatment methods that can cure ocular cancer however it all depends on the stage at which the disease gets diagnosed. The treatment method depends on the size and location of the tumor.
Your ophthalmologist, after a series of diagnostic tests, can prescribe the perfect plan of treatment for you. But it is up to you that whenever you face any irritation in the eye, you should get it checked promptly! Remember, early detection simplifies the treatment and increases the chances of curing the disease. The disease might cause some side effects including loss of vision or irregularities in the shape of the eye.
With some alertness and timely checkups, it is possible to cure if not prevent eye cancer. Researchers have seen that stress can cause irritation and tumor development in the eyes. So you would need to reduce stress, eat the right kind of healthy food that is good for your eyes, and lead an active life by doing some exercises on a regular basis.